In about a month Barcelona will host the biggest and most exciting event and show of the year, the Mobile World Congress 2013 (25-28 February 2013). It is the 8th consistent year that the event takes place in Barcelona and will continue till 2018. But what are some facts you need to know about this year’s event?
- The change of venue might cause some issues to the visitors that were used to the previous central and very convenient location but also knew very well their way through the Halls. You should be ready to dive into the unknown. However the new venue (Fira de Barcelona’s Gran Via map) located close to the airport, although it will be hard to reach, no metro around just some buses, it is 30% larger than the previous one (94,000 sqm)
- GSMA reports 10% more bookings than last year
- 140 government representatives (for the first time) are expected to raise interest about spectrum issues and regulation, crucial for the smooth mobile market’s operation
- Samsung is expected to launch officially the Galaxy Note 8 inch tablet, as Samsung’s mobile head JK Shin recently confirmed. It includes quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 1280×800 resolution and 5MP rear camera.
- The Near Field Communication (NFC) setup and experience is expected to assist the visitors with new applications. NFC center and interactive zones will allow the visitors to collect information about the exhibition venues, locations, events, places of interest etc. Interesting and progressive feature, however NFC is not supported from all smartphones.
- The GSMA Connected City is one of the event’s highlights. A real city’s street will show how advanced mobile services can promote innovation, economic growth and new business ideas. The solutions will be supplied from AT&T, Deutsche Telekom, GSMA, KT, Telenor and Vodafone.
- Greece, for the first time, will participate with its own national kiosk, sending the message, “Technology born in Greece goes global”, where 25 Greek startups and businesses will present their products and services.
ExelixisNet will be there during the whole event, presenting the latest Research Reports on Mobile Backhaul, meeting its customers and developing business with new ones. Feel free to schedule a meeting if you are interested into mobile broadband research and analysis, mobile backhaul, small cells and microwave evolution and trends. Contact me at email@example.com